by Pat Freeman
We continue our discussion about the Buffalo Bills 2015 season by now looking at the offensive side of the ball. This area of the Bills did see some improvement based on the hapless year before under Doug Marrone, and Nathaniel Hackett. There is no question that the improvement of the offense under Greg Roman started with the play of our predicted starter Tyrod Taylor. My good friend Michael Ingram the editor of BlackAthlete.net told me the day he was signed “That you now have your starting quarterback in Buffalo.” This was no question one of the best signings of the off season by Doug Whaley. The increase in the efficient play at the most important position on the team turned around the fortunes of this unit. This also included the emergence of Sammy Watkins as one of the most exciting receiving threats in the NFL as he recorded his first 1,000 yard season as a Buffalo Bill.
There are some problems I think need to be addressed this off season if this unit is to continue to make improvements.
1. Greg Roman’s in game adjustments must improve for next season. Too many times this year when he was forced to alter his script of plays Buffalo floundered for the long periods during games. This caused our defense to be on the field way too long in many games this year.
2. When you have two athletic tight ends that posses better than 4.4 speed then why not use them together similar to the New England combination of Gronkowski, and Keith Hernandez in New England. Buffalo has this with Charles Clay and Chris Gragg but Greg Roman underutilized the two tight end combination most of the season.
3. The failure of the Buffalo Bills medical staff to determine that wide receiver Percy Harvin and Marquise Goodwin should not have been on the opening day roster because of injuries that eventually ended their season.
4. The offensive line must become a more physical unit.
1. Cordy Glenn must be resigned
2. Richie Incognito would be offered two year competitive salary at his position of left guard.
3. The center position needs an immediate upgrade which needs to be filled in the draft. The tenure of Eric Wood at the center position in my opinion needs to come to an end. Too many time this year I found him being knocked backwards, or unable to get push from the point of attack.
4. The right tackle position became an unstable position because of the uncertainty of Sentrel Henderson who is dealing with Crohn’s disease.
These listed areas along with a change in the structure of this team will greatly improve the Buffalo Bills for the up an coming season. Next week we will look at all the listed free agents and players who I think should be released.
Pat Freeman writes for the Buffalo Criterion. If you enjoy talking about the world of sports tune into the number#1 sports show in the nation every Saturday from 3:30-5:00PM hosted by WUFO Sports Director Patrick Freeman on 1080AM WUFO radio, radio app., or via the internet at www.wufoam.com. Or catch Sports Update for clbTV (ch.20 Buffalo) and YouTube. Also join us for the number#1 recap show every Monday at 7:25AM with Lee Pettigrew, and The Mighty O’Ba Pat Freeman.